After facing the suspension from Sports Ministry, Sanjay Singh who was previously elected as the new Chief of Wrestling Federation of India(WFI), has made controversial statements against the Ministry and the newly formed ad hoc committee. He said that the Federation doesn’t recognize the suspension and had already sent their explanation against the breaching of rules as stated by Sports Ministry.
The Sports Ministry has earlier suspended the newly elected governing body, just 2 days after the conclusion of elections, on the basis of violation of various rules. It then requested the Indian Olympic Association(IOA), to form a committee to govern the affairs of the Federation.
IOA ad hoc committee announces National Championships
The newly formed ad hoc committee has announced that the Senior National Wrestling Championships will be held in Jaipur from February 2 to 5. Bhupinder Singh Bajwa led committee also stated that that National Wrestling camps will begin in Sonepat and Patiala from February 9.
— Press Trust of India (@PTI_News) January 1, 2024
The committee is keenly working to prepare the wrestlers for the Paris Olympics 2024 and also other competitions in the future thereafter.
Sanjay Singh’s response to the Suspension
As per Press Trust of India, Sanjay Singh said, “We got elected democratically. The Returning Officer had signed the papers, how do they ignore that. We do not recognise this ad-hoc panel.”
Mr. Singh also said, “We do not recognise this suspension. The WFI is working smoothly, we are on the job. How will they (ad-hoc panel) organise Nationals if our state associations will not send the teams. We will organise our National Championship soon. We are soon calling the Executive Committee meeting. The notice of the EC meeting will be sent in a day or two and we will have the Nationals organised before they do it.”