Master-blaster Sachin Tendulkar is finally coming out of retirement! The legendary Indian batsman is all set to face just a single over from Australian all-rounder Ellyse Perry in the Big Appeal charity game scheduled to be hosted at the Junction Oval in Melbourne on Sunday. According to a media release by cricket.com.au, Perry and her colleagues will take on a celebrity-laden team in a 10-overs-per-side game, during the innings break of Australian women’s must-win match against England in the ongoing triangular series.
On Saturday afternoon, Perry, the 2019 Women’s Cricketer of the Year challenged Sachin through social media via a video saying,
“Hey Sachin, it’s awesome to have you out here in Australia supporting the Bushfire match,”
“I know you’re coaching one of the teams but a few of us were sitting around last night chatting and we thought it would be absolutely amazing to see you potentially come out of retirement for one over in the innings break out here at Junction Oval. We thought it would be an awesome way to raise a bit more money for the Bushfire Appeal, which I know you’re already doing so much for.”
“If you’re at all up for it, we’d love to have you out here — I know there’d be some girls very keen to field some balls that you hit. So let us know, and thanks again for everything!” she said.
Not our day today, but we're gearing up for a huge day tomorrow with the Bushfire Cricket Bash straight after our must-win match against England!@sachin_rt, keen for a hit in the middle to rustle up a few more $ for bushfire affected communities? 👉 https://t.co/aKGDE5AH4f pic.twitter.com/RtAxyot7ow
— Australian Women's Cricket Team 🏏 (@AusWomenCricket) February 8, 2020
Meanwhile, Tendulkar, who will coach Ricky Ponting’s side against Adam Gilchrist’s team in the Bushfire Cricket Bash, quickly replied while accepting the challenge,
“Sounds great Ellyse, I would love to go out there and bat an over (much against the advice of my doctor due to my shoulder injury).
“Hope we can generate enough money for this cause, and to get me out there in the middle” the 46-year-old said.
Sounds great Ellyse. I would love to go out there & bat an over (much against the advice of my doctor due to my shoulder injury).
Hope we can generate enough money for this cause, & to get me out there in the middle.
— Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) February 8, 2020
The one-off charity game named as the Bushfire Cricket Bash will see cricketing legends (both male and female) and Australian Football League players Luke Hodge and Nick Riewoldt; take the field for this noble cause.
The organizers previously pledged to donate the profit of the game to the Australian Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery Fund.
You may also like: