Indian boxing aces Jamuna Boro and Nikhat Zareen marked a winning start to their respective campaigns at the recently commenced National Women’s Boxing Championship at the St Joseph’s International School in Hisar, Haryana on Thursday by winning their first round matches.
Competing in the 54kg category, Jamuna Boro was up against Jyothi Valla of Andhra Pradesh. The world championships bronze medallist, who hails from Sonitpur, Assam, dominated Valla right from the get-go and the referee put a stop to the match just in the first round.
Having won gold at the 2nd India Open International Boxing Tournament in Guwahati as well as at the 23rd President’s Cup 2019 Boxing International Open Tournament held in Labuan Bajo, East Nusa Tenggara, Boro clinched her World Championships bronze as a bantamweight in 2019 at the AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships in Ulan-Ude, Russia.
On the other hand, Nikhat Zareen also picked up a first round victory in here 52 kg showdown against Siya Walke of Goa, to join Boro in advancing into the second round of the championships.
Hailing from the Nizamabad district of Telangana, Zareen made her international breakthrough back in 2011 when she won a gold at the AIBA Women’s Junior and Youth World Boxing Championship in Turkey, competing in the 51 kg flyweight category. She clinched bronze at the 2019 Asian Amateur Boxing Championships in Bangkok, as well as a silver at the 2019 Thailand Open International Boxing Tournament.
Below here are the results of the opening round of the National Championships across four categories:
- 50 kg: Nikita Kumari (Bih) bt Nikitha Baby (Ker) 4-1, Komal (Pun) bt Sonia Gauni (Utk) 5-0, Hemlata (Del) bt Mantasaha Kumari (Asm) 4-0
- 52 kg: Himani Pant (Utk) bt Poonam (Raj) 4-0, Manju Basumatary (Asm) bt Tanuja Kumari (HP) RSC-R3, Nikhat Zareen (Tel) bt Siya Walke (Goa) RSC-R1, Anjali Sharma (MP) bt V.Vinodhini (TN) 3-2
- 54 kg: Gayatri Kasnyal (Utk) bt Poonaima Rajput (MP) 4-1, Jamuna Boro (Asm) bt Jyothi Valla (AP) RSC-R1, Renu (Har) bt Arshi Khanam (Raj) 3-2, Siksha (RSPB) bt Sinsha R.K. (Ker) RSC-R2
- 57kg: Radha Patidar (MP) bt Khushbun Hussain (Mah) 5-0.
- Jamuna Boro and Nikhat Zareen both picked up a win in the first round of National Women’s Boxing Championship in Hisar on Thursday
- Boro defeated Jyothi Valla from Andhra Pradesh in the first round of their 54 kg bout
- Zareen picked up a first round win as well against Goa’s Siya Walke in the 52 kg event
Do you want to play Casino games online? Click here to find a range of online casino brands
If you like reading about MMA, make sure you check out MMAIndia.com
Also, follow India’s biggest arm wrestling tournament at ProPanja.com
To bet on sports, click here